The picture looks a bit grim as it is only February and the flowers have only just started waking up. This is my door number, stencilled planter. The house also has a name that I’ve had to PS to avoid over-sharing across the infernet… but IRL the name is stencilled to arc above the graphic and door number graphic below. I am loving it. The vinyl was a bit fiddly to weed and some bits had to have masking tape ‘bridges’ to keep it altogether. The outer had to be masked off as well to prevent the spray paint going all over.
In principle, it’s very simple to do. I used a beautiful art nouveau graphic from Craftsmanspace and welded the number 10 to it. The name was arched over the top and the whole thing was cut out from adhesive vinyl on the Pro.
The stencil was carefully weeded and placed onto to the clean planter. For information, the pot is about 14in square, so not tiny. The Pro, like nearly all electronic cutters out there, will cut very intricate and fine detail from vinyl but it’s very difficult to manipulate skinny cuts of vinyl off a carrier sheet and onto another surface without stretching or tearing it. So, I went for a larger pot so the design could be scaled up to make the letters and pattern as big as possible.
The surrounding area of the stencil was masked off and Rustoleum spray paint was spritzed through the stencil. I gave it one coat last night and another first thing this morning. Left it to dry then peeled off the masking tape and stencil vinyl.
There is some residue left from the backing of the vinyl which I will wipe off in a couple of days when I ‘m SURE the paint has really dried and cured.
It has transformed the planter. I’ve planted some lavender and other growing things…. (gardening is not my forté) and hope they will survive and enhance it to greater heights of loveliness! I followed the ‘thrill, fill and spill’ rule. The thrill being the lavender that should grow taller, bushier and bloom with purple flowers, the fill being the small daisy or dandelion like blooms and the spill being the small white ones.
Obviously, it’s early days and nothing much is in bloom so it’s all looking a bit drab and dreary but hope they pick up over the next few weeks. A few sunny days without rain might help as well. Will take some better shots when things have grown a bit.
Am mad to have a go at something else now. Maybe the wheelie bins and house numbers.