Snail Trail

Tilda Snail and Dragonfly

I finally got round to making the Tilda snail and dragonfly. It’s fairly easy to make and quick to put together although I did go mad with sequins and beads on the dragonfly wings:

Lady Mary is still in a desperate state of undress but is looking less tired and emotional than in her last picture. Still, not the sort of publicity the daughter of an Earl would prefer:

Here she is, leaning against a lampost, groaning, ‘Oh My Head’.

She’s got some fiddly bits that make her hard to sew, unfortunately, and has had some bits unpicked a couple of times. Including her legs. Who’d have thought slim Lady Mary would have such wide hips and terrible cellulite?  And such a tall doll, too. She doesn’t lend herself to being photographed without being propped up and had to wedge her head on on a shelf to get these couple of shots. Ooh M’Lady! Would I be marched off the manor by Carson or what?!

I will finish her off (not in a Quentin Tarantino sort of way) and make her decent with some bloomers and a pretty frock of some kind. She still has that ‘opaque’ expression as you can see. And no hair. I have yet to follow the fantastic configuration of TV aerial  spikes to weave her hair around and create her hairpiece. (Google Tilda doll hair to see what I’m on about!).

Anyway, the intentions are good. I will finish her but… You know I said I have a crush *sigh* on Tilda ? I’m not sure if it’s the Tilda makes, per se,  or the books themselves that fire the passion. The photography and colour palettes are just exquisite. I never tire of just poring through the books. And have ordered three more from Amazon.

Trouble with Amazon is that you check out things on their site, ads for those items pop up in your browser when you’re innocently reading the news online, etc.  Not once but many times.  And, as Mae West said, I can resist everything but temptation. So I cave in and before I know it, they’re ordered and on their way. So, though I intend to finish Lady Mary the books (due today) will present a powerful distraction.

Door Number

I saw some slate door number plates in a local DIY store. They were the best part of €30 and a bit too pricy for me. But in the tiling section saw some tile samples – not slate but a matt, dark grey. Small squares were 1.35 each and large rectangles were about 3.00. I wished I’d bought one at the time but was on a mission to get other things and too preoccupied to see the potential…

…until I got home. Then *Ding-Dong* – inspiration called!  A large tile sample, one Cougar, a sheet of vinyl and some design inspiration from Craftsmanspace…

No chance to go back to the DIY place so it’s not been physically created yet but here is the design I will be using.

For information, the two side panels with the birds are from Knickerbocker Ornates on the Craftsmanspace site (Knickerbocker Ornates), the font for the numerals is Poor Richard (I think).

It’s been designed in Illustrator so is a fully scalable vector.

Rendering a text character into editable elements in Illustrator

The central circle with petal bits is an inner from a zero in the Decorative (that’s its name) font (free on Da Font or Font Squirrel). To create editable elements from font sets is very easy in Illustrator. I presume the functionality would be similar in applications like Inkscape but I only know how to do it in Illustrator:

  • Use the Text tool, type a character from ‘Decorative’ font
  • Switch to Selection tool and select the typed character
  • Go to the Type drop-down menu and select Create Outlines
  • Ungroup and delete the outer letterform leaving the inner petal bits

I will be cutting the design from a rectangle of vinyl (to the dimensions of the tile when I get it).

To finish the project:

  • Wash the tile with a detergent to remove any grubbins
  • Stick down the vinyl stencil
  • Spray paint or stencil the design with acrylic paints (or suitable paint for the surface of the material you’re using)

To mount them to the wall, we’ll probably drill and screw it in place but will first see if No More Nails (glue) is up to the job. Until we get the tile we can’t really make an informed decision.

Can’t see any reason why it shouldn’t work and will be loads cheaper than the ones I saw originally. I’m thinking that I might check out somewhere like TK MXX to see if there are any slate place mats or something along those lines that might work as well or better.

Will post picture of the end result in a few days (hopefully!).

Hel

PS
If you would like an SVG of the template, leave a comment and I will send to you but seeing as it’s a number ten, it’s probably of little use to most and easier to create your own. However, if you do, you can have – just leave a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *