Monthly Archives: May 2012


Robocop – robot sheriff

Here’s my latest robot. Obviously law enforcement and judging by the star, I’d say a sheriff.  I wouldn’t want to risk a fork in the capacitors from this guy! Wonder where he’ll pop up next (apart from having already been converted into an ABR) ! Well, you should see by the end of the week! He was designed in Illustrator then taken into PS so I could turn him into a brush (ABR).  What’s that? Freeze and drop the cream cake??!!  Uhhh OK!

Other, Sewing

I robot

Is there no end to the fun to be had with a cutting machine? I bought some heat press vinyl last year and didn’t really use it – until I bought a plain black hoodie for Mr Tree. It was too plain so got Illustrator into action and knocked up a cool sizzle-my-schnizzles, robot ( and then took it into Photoshop to convert it into a brush to play with on other projects – like the gang of robots that have turned up on the left)!

Cut, weeded and hot-pressed on, it looks just dudey! Mr Tree likes it but the weather  is amazing. It’s so hot and gorgeous it’s just not hoodie weather. From my window in this room I can see some giant Yukka’s and in this heat I pretend they’re palm trees. Or is that a mirage?

Have got a couple of kids’ hoodies to do (boys) so have designed different robots and hope to get them done early next week. Will show you when they’re ready.

Have a good weekend and hope you’re enjoying some good weather where you are.


Other, Sewing

BIA art journal

***Updated Sunday 27th) Me, my Bind It All and sewing machine have been busy lately. I made some nice art journals using 160 gsm, acid-free sketch paper and 6 sheets of 300 gsm (each), water colour papers. They’re just shy of A5 and nicely filled with 30 sheets of paper in total. The front and back are made from mountboard covered with papers I created by printing text from The Water Babies onto A3 paper (took two sheets) and removing various invisible characters, eg, the carriage return characters or Pilcrows, to use the technical term for them. That was done with Indesign and, off the top of my head, I don’t know how to do that in other packages. I know Quark Xpress will let you do that easily so am guessing lots of others do, too.

Then it was over to the BIA and the holes were punched and the books were bound etc. To finish the birdie one off, I stitched an applique bird from some fabric I bought recently (made the graphics tablet cover posted here recently from it) onto some pure cream cotton. A good stitch density but still very soft. The piece was stitched onto some wadding and hot glued to the front cover. I love that the books are my own work and are just lovely for sketching and painting. The stitching below is a work-in-progress and will cover the next one (already being prepared). I haven’t snipped the little cotton tails off but you can see how it’s shaping up. Still haven’t finished this one but have the covers and inner pages ready so shouldn’t take long! (We’ll see).

Off to enjoy the sun that’s still gorgeous and warm here! Maybe a glass of wine in the garden later after the potted plants have been watered. A gentle way to relax after a busy day.

**** I have written up the instructions for how I made my journal in PSF format. It’s free  – just leave a comment and I’ll e-mail it to you straight away. *****

Hugs, Hels

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...